Wednesday, July 14, 2021

DJ Interviews: Brian Jin

 How'd you get started in music?

Wow, that’s a broad question. As a human, I was a toddler hypnotized by AM Gold. I was raised on Gerry Rafferty, Billy Joel, Fleetwood Mac, the Eagles, Gordon Lightfoot. Lots and lots of Gordon Lightfoot!
Instrumentally speaking I started playing guitar around 16, like every American boy worth a damn. Played my first show in someone’s backyard for a bunch of St. Charles High kids.

Who are your inspirations or influences?
Nil and I both go deep on acts like CCR, Cat Stevens, the Beatles, and Jethro Tull. I’m a big fan of R.E.M., anything Neil Finn touches, of course Gordon Lightfoot. Nil really digs the Sri Lankan pop rock that was being championed by Sooriya Records, the Grateful Dead, and the Moody Blues.
Geez, we sound like we should be in our 60s! Lol

What advice would offer aspiring performers?
Stop playing when it feels like work, and work at it when it feels like play.

How do you set yourselves apart from other bands or singers?
Well, if you heard our last album, we set ourselves apart actually BEING A BAND. If it’s one thing I wanted to put across on this record is that we’re not just a singer who happens to have musicians behind them. We are a band, we play as a band. 



Any new gigs or albums in the future?
Well, we are playing a gig in the Central West End of St. Louis on June 19. We just released our new album, “The Frenchtown Connection.” I really think it’s going to shine. We have some surprises this summer as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment