Thursday, January 20, 2022

DJ Interviews: Steve Deeley

 Here's my interview with DJ Steve Deeley enjoy.

How'd you get started in music?

I’ve always been obsessed with music from a very young age but didn’t start making music until 3 years ago. I’ve always had loads of ideas for songs and after acquiring some production equipment, I started turning these into reality.

 

Who are your inspirations or influences?

I’ve collected over 40 years of different genres of dance music including Disco, Electro, Break Dance, Chicago House, Acid, Techno, Trance and more recent EDM.  I also enjoy New Romance/Wave bands including The Human League, Soft Cell, OMD, Depeche Mode & New Order.  I don't mind a bit of rock also. My wife walked down the aisle to Lenny Kravitz and I'm having The Foo fighters at my funeral lol.  

 

What advice would you offer aspiring performers?

Try to keep your feet on the ground and try not to compromise your principles and integrity.  It's a dog-eat-dog music industry and I would try to learn as much about it as you can.  Keep in mind that a record contract is only a loan and there are a lot of people who need to be paid.  If you don't make the sales, then you could end up owing them money.  Most of all enjoy what you do!

 

How do you set yourselves apart from other bands or singers?

The beauty of being an independent artist is I can musically do what I want.  I've crossed multiple genres by making synthpop, slow ballads, EDM and spoken word hip hop.  I've got a wealth of experience listening to all kinds of music, so I know what sounds good (I think).

 

Any new gigs or albums in the future?

I usually release a single every month or so, which eventually ends up being an album.  I think the days of an artist sitting in a studio creating an album in one go and releasing it, are numbered.  With all the different ways of making music plus so many different music platforms and streaming services available, everything is now much more flexible.

 

I don't have plans to gig at the moment, unless one of my new dance tracks called "Let Me Be" does well in the Summer and I get invited to play in one of the dance music holiday resorts, like Ibiza!


Special thanks to him for doing this interview & I wish him luck on his music. So until then I'll catch you on The Flipside! Stay awesome & rock n roll!


No comments:

Post a Comment