Friday, January 28, 2022

DJ Interviews: Ian Patron

 Here's my interview with singer Ian Patrol



How'd you get started in music?

I used to make TV documentaries and after work would fire up my sampler and just try and make music that I wished other people would make.  Stuff that was schizo and choppy and not about the conventional boys with guitars model.  Eventually I had enough songs and sent a demo off to a few labels and it just kinda grew and grew from there

Who are your inspirations or influences?

My bloody valentine, roxanne shante, ennio morricone,  axelrod, boards of Canada, Vince guaraldi, Italian sound tracks, the meters, Shirley elis

What advice would you offer aspiring performers?

Don't worry to much about shredding and being amazing at Yr instrument.  Its more about taking an angle. A view point. There's so much that hasn't been tried yet. The hard part is dreaming up a new approach.  So less shredding. More angle

How do you set yourselves apart from other bands or singers?

It's not a conscious thing but I think we do have a definite sound that is instantly recognisable and I think  that's a good goal for a band to have.  That comes from a particular sense of melody but also the trashy production  and palette of particular instruments like blaring trumpets and distorted drums.

Any new gigs or albums in the future?

The last album Get up Sequences Part 1 came out last July so now we're working on part 2.  Should be out early next year..

No comments:

Post a Comment