Sunday, February 21, 2021

DJ Interviews: Gary Hunter

Hey there guys DJ Dizzy here, & I had the pleasure of interviewing a sing whose name's Gary Hunter as he shared his musical origins. (Taken from Twitter) 


How'd you get started in music?

I come from a family of musicians so I can't say I had much of a choice. Although I am not a pianist I've always had access to a piano to help me write. I found that writing music was a particular strength of mine quite early on so it's something I decided to pursue. Who are your inspirations or influences? Most of my musical influences come from film music. If I had to chose a top 5 that have inspired me through the years I'd be looking at: James Horner, Thomas Newman, Michael Nyman, Philip glass & Danny Elfman. What advice would you offer aspiring conposers? Just listen to music and try to find what inspires you. If there's a quote I'll take to my grave it's "Good composers borrow, great ones steal" (Stravinsky). I think we live in an age where it's very easy to compose a great melody and after 10 minutes realise you've accidentally re-written someone else's music. There seems to be a fear of that these days because people end up getting sued. I'm pretty sure Mozart didn't get sued after re-writing one of Hayden's Symphony's, but that's the world we live in now... How do you set yourself apart from other composers? Tough question... I don't think there's anything particularly different that I'm doing compared to anyone else however I do try to find my own timbre just for a bit of originality. Any new gigs or albums in the future? I'm currently working of a few projects, some of which are in collaboration with some great musicians. I'm hoping to release another album by the end of March 2021.


Special thanks to him for doing this interview & I wish him lots of luck in his music. So until then I'll catch you on The Flipside! Stay awesome & rock n roll!


No comments:

Post a Comment