Friday, June 1, 2018

DJ's Spotlight: An interview with Surreal Nation

Hello everyone, DJ Dizzy here & I sat down with another indie band  called Surreal Nation who are based in Delaware,  They had a lot to say which proved to be funny but overall here's the interview. Enjoy!


How'd you get started in music?  


Paul: I am classically trained on the piano and started playing when I was seven. I played several different instruments and was in the school band as well as a couple of other bands outside of school. I started Surreal Nation with Nikki in 2014. We were just doing open mics and small restaurant gigs in our hometown. Next thing we know, there are five of us and we're playing at SXSW and all over the country!

Nikki: I was always in the choir in school. I would sing in talent shows. It's always been a part of my life. 

Jackson: My Dad put guitar in my room when I was a teenager. It collected dust for a couple of years. One day I picked it up, hoping to use it to pick up girls at high school parties. I fell in love with it and haven't put it down since then. I was actually supposed to be a session player on the bass, for Paul and Nikki's second album. They won't allow me to leave!

Gene: I played percussion in the school band from elementary school, all the way through college. I have a degree in music theory. I actually never used a drum set until I started playing "Rock Band!" 

Kevin: I started playing bass in hardcore and metal bands when I was in high school. I knew Paul and Nikki from outside of music. They called me to come over and jam one night. Much like Jackson, I am also being held here against my will!

Paul: Kevin exaggerates. We're actually not sure where he came from. He just showed up one day. 

Jackson: So only Kevin is exaggerating? What about me?

Nikki: Next question...




Who are you're biggest influences & inspirations?


Nikki: Stevie Nicks, because, Stevie Nicks

Paul: Ben Folds, Benjamin Gibbard, and any 70's R&B bands like the Delfonics and The Chi Lites. 

Kevin: Prince. I love his rhythm and all the soul behind his music.

Gene: Quest Love, The Gorillaz, Lenny Kravitz. Anyone with amazing precision like those guys have!

Jackson: The White Stripes because, Jack White. Did I ever tell you guys that I may or may not have a shrine to him in my bedroom and...

Nikki: ...you would wear a wig and dress up like Meg White if it means getting them back together? Yes, once or twice.

Gene: Jackson really really loves Jack White.

    

How would you say music has impacted your life?


Paul: I think that I can answer for the group here when I say that in one way or another, music has saved all of our lives. It has provided us with a much needed outlet and has allowed us to express our creative sides and share our art with so many different people.

Nikki: It's also brought the five of us together, given us a chance to travel, and allowed us to become a big family. It's not just about us, it's about all of our actual families and friends coming together. It's the music that has done this. 



Any new gigs or albums?


Paul: We just released an EP, "I Know Better", on Feb. 20th. We'll be putting out a single some time in 2019.

I hope that you take the time to check out Surreal Nation & their music & here's wishing them luck in their careers. So until then be radically righteous & I'll catch you on the flipside!

No comments:

Post a Comment