Saturday, June 2, 2018

DJs Spotlight: An interview with Ghost Season

Hey there everyone Its your old friend DJ Dizzy here & I just recently interviewed a new rock & metal group called Ghost Season who are an indie band so have a seat & enjoy.


How'd you get started in music?

Dorian: My parents used to listen to a lot of music, a lot of old stuff. I always liked the melancholic stuff so that’s maybe where the sadness comes into our music. I also grew up with bands like Genesis, Wishbone Ash, UFO, Eloy, Nektar and Golden Earring all those progressive bands and a lot of heavy metal. I remember collecting vinyls and saving a ton of money to buy rare stuff, singles and picture discs.
Fun times back then. With Ghost Season I didn’t want to get rid of any of those influences but hopefully create a mix with all those elements in there. It’s hard for me to separate the lyrics from reality in the lyrics I write because I live my life in those lyrics.

Nick: When I was like 6 years old my parents got me into windpipe lesson. Bet you never saw that coming. Well after that I got into other stuff so I dropped music. As I was growing up I started listening to classic rock and metal bands like Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden, Blue Oyster Cult, Deep Purple, Metallica etc. I remember that my dad had an old guitar laying around, it was unplayable, it didn't have any strings. So I remember that I used to grab it and pretend like I was playing when my parents weren't at home haha. Well, you get the idea, I just realized that I had to learn to play the damn thing, it was like a gigantic magnet pulling me.




Who are your main inspirations or influences?

Dorian: I really don’t have any main inspiration you know, this something that will make me want to write lyrics. I only write when I’m sad. I don’t think I can make music when I’m happy. So my influences might be lurking everywhere from a poem, a movie, winter, relationship issues. I have to be a depressed ass to write! It’s totally emotional and some stuff are pretty personal.

Nick: Well, guitar-wise, I really am a kid of Eddie Van Halen. He's a huge influence in modern guitar playing, so actually the majority of guitarists are children of Eddie. Anyway, I'm into all those guitarists of that era that had some beef in their playing and could easily handle writing killer riffs and awesome solos like Dimebag Darrel, John Petrucci, Adrian Smith, Brian May. But I do like how bands like Breaking Benjamin layer simple leads on top of the rhythm parts to add extra texture and depth. Production wise, I try to follow in the footsteps of David Bendeth and Terry Date, they're giants.

How would you say music has impacted your life?

Dorian: I’m in love with music you know and I can’t think of living without playing and writing.
I often think how I’ll be doing it when I get 70 years old, when I won’t have the power anymore.
I always felt a certain safety in rock music. For example with Iron Maiden, it’s your own world,  a world you enter and you close the doors behind you, and it’s your own place where you can hide from the outside world and all the bullshit out there. All the Maiden fans will surely understand. And so that’s how it always was for me. At the bottom line, music is all that stays in the end.

Nick: It has actually affected the most part of my life, the most decisions I've made are always in favor of music, damn I even dropped out of the university so I could dedicate more time to music. Music is like a living, breathing entity, and you become a part of it.


What advice would you offer aspiring performers?
Dorian: I’m not someone who can give advices. Not yet. But I’ll say this. Do not do things you don’t want to do. Even if it’s a contract with a record label for example. If you don’t like the contract don’t sign it.
Do not do something if you have second thoughts. And be yourself, people might use big words and be over the top when it comes to their music, but it’s nice to not have an alter-ego when it comes to them as people. Be who you are. For good and for bad. It makes stuff so much easier.

Nick: Practice hard, if you want to stand out. Nothing beats a good solid act, especially nowdays, where most bands are actually using computer editing to present near-perfect recording but are really shitty live. It's always mesmerizing to see a band that can perform their music so well that you actually prefer it to listening to their cd. And it takes tons of studio practice on that.

Any new gigs or works in the future?

Nick: We recently parted ways with our lead singer and our drummer, so we're preparing a new live set with the new guys. The new album has already been penned down and we'll hit the studio to record in winter. Maybe we'll do a couple of covers and release them in the meantime to give you a taste of what's to come. Old pop rock songs translated to our style, just like we did with Break Me Shake Me on the Like Stars In A Neon Sky album.

So here's hoping that you check out them & their music & I wish them nothing but luck in their career & their success. So until then be radically righteous & I'll catch you on the flipside!

No comments:

Post a Comment