Sunday, February 12, 2023

DJ Interviews: Kade Jones

Here's my interview with TTRPG music composer Kade Jones who spoke on his musical beginnigs & feel free to check out some of his tunes & more of his works via the link below.



How'd you get started in music?

Hi Dizzy. Thanks for having me!

I started about seven or eight years ago. I made some quick music using orchestral loops for a mockumentary and had no clue what I was doing, using a very basic Digital Audio Workstation, but I managed to get something together. I caught the bug and some time after that, I decided to try with virtual instruments and bought my first proper DAW (Studio One).

I got to work and created a track. The mix was awful and I think my brass and woodwind players died from lack of breath! But, I actually completed a full piece that did what I wanted it to for my D&D sessions (horse-rider going into battle) and the raw composition and orchestration wasn't half bad, in spite of the messiness of the mix.

I decided there that I'll give it a good go and began learning all I could from YouTube and other sources while acquiring some orchestral instruments. I was always into my cinematic music.


Who are your inspirations or influences?

My main inspiration from the movie world is a composer called Basil Poledouris. You may or may not know the name, but you're very likely to know the music: Conan, Robocop, Starship Troopers, On Deadly Ground – to name a few.

Other than that, I love Thomas Bergersen – One half of 'Two Steps From Hell' and the reason I started off buying EastWest orchestral instruments when I started. This was due to his and Nick Pheonix's involvement with the company and actually, you've heard their music too. A good deal of TV, movie and game trailers this century feature the 'epic music' of Two Steps.

What advice would you offer aspiring composers?

There's lots of free instruments and software out there for a beginner. Get the free orchestra from Spitfire and also their LABS software and you'll have lots to play with without spending any money. Some compositions made with these instruments sound absolutely brilliant. Enjoy the writing and don't get hung up on the technicalities, the mixing or the expense – that'll come later.

Watch at least one video every day on music composition and learn your tools! There's so much good stuff out there, including how to write with free stuff.

A friend who wants you to succeed and is as blunt as a bus with their critique is invaluable. Have a thick skin and keep them close. I do ;)

Other than that, don't try to sound like Hans Zimmer – There's already a Hans Zimmer and he's always going to be the best Hans Zimmer there ever was! Learn from the masters but don't try to be them.

In other words, be yourself and find YOUR style!


How do you set yourself apart from other composers or producers?

Versatility!

I can create an expressive, dreamy love song one day and the next, a big badass monster soundtrack followed by a banging rock track then an atmospheric Celtic underscore.

Between you, me and your readers, I'm an old rocker at heart though :)


Any new tracks or albums in the future?

I'm always working on new tracks. Right now I'm building an Arabic album and putting the finishing touches to a new flying carpet action/chase composition. This will be available soon, but I try to create something new all the time. Currently I have 65 tracks and counting on Spotify, so I'm worth a follow just to see what I come up with next!



No comments:

Post a Comment