Monday, February 6, 2023

DJ Intervews: Jasen Saffel of Jasen & Judenjay

Here's my interview with Jasen Saffel of the music dou Jaen & Judenjay as he sat down with me & spoke on his musical beginnings


My name is {JASEN JAY SAFFEL} and I am 58 years young and the lead vocalist and songwriter and guitarist of the band JUDENJAY.I am backed by {GARY WILL} on lead guitar and other instruments and {Donny Mitchell} on bass guitar and other instruments and KEN HOWARD on DRUMS. Although the lineup changes on a regular basis....


1. How'd I get started in music? 


see this guy [ROGER BERKMAN} I was about 10 years old at the time and in second grade ROGER was about 8-9 and in 1rst grade.  Not sure about that but I was at the time an artist great at drawing and sculpture. ROGER lived just over the hill from me on Anniversary Lane. I lived on Pin Oak rd. We were both raised in EDWARDSVILLE ILLINOIS. and we both rode the same bus to and from school. Well ROGER was a gifted guitarist; his whole family was gifted musically and would sit around jamming as a family daily. And we were at the time in COLUMBUS GRADE SCHOOL and in those days if you were gifted, they would let you show off to the kids. So, ROGER had been gifted by the school an assembly. He sat in the lawn with the entire grade school watching him and played guitar and banjo and sang. Everyone just loved him and his music and cheered for him. And I just thought I wanted to do that. And he came on the bus one day and had no place to sit and so I said hey ROGER you can sit here.We became great friends, and he taught me guitar and eventually put a band together called "THE OUTER LIMITS". I was already writing my own songs at 8 years of age and so was ROGER and we started off just looking for anyone who would listen to us. We would play the nursing homes and Kof C halls and VFWs.And for his MOM. with no pay. Just for fun and to get heard. That is how I got started. Looking back at in today my family was breaking up there were 10 of us and 8 kids. My parents were heading for a divorce, and it gave me an outlet stronger than the artwork I was doing. And ROGERs friendship helped. But i think it was a combination of what I was going through at home and Roger's friendship and the music.......................................................

2.  Who are your influences? 

My influences were first and foremost my friend ROGER BERKMAN from a friend's level...He was a sort of grade school hero of sorts that guy who could get the entire school in his hand, but he was an ELVIS fan and so was his MOM and my MOM everyone's MOM lol. ROGER had 3 older brothers who like all kinds of rock n roll hard rock n roll, but ROGER liked CCR and ELVIS and his roots were in folk. He could do that great finger picking stuff I could not do. His DAD & UNCLE were folk/country/bluegrass guys. So, they could do all of that banjo's and ukes and guitars and such. My MOM was a song writer and poet and loved ELVIS and country music as well. I had 5 brothers and two sisters, so I got. A bit of everything however my main influence came from the fab four THE BEATLES.I found and old record called "SOMETHING NEW THE BEATLES" and played it once and was hooked. From then on, I wanted a band with friends who all sang and played and wrote their own songs. To me they are the greatest band of all time. And I set out to have a band like them. To this day i try to put their influence in my music somewhere................

3. What advice would you offer aspiring performers? 

Be yourself and make a part of your sets "ALL ORIIGINAL MUSIC" we set out to be sure to do that as no band can copy originality and there is nothing better than seeing people enjoying your own songs. Seeing them dance to them and hearing them ask you about them. We would sandwich our songs in-between covers that we knew people liked and it was like an arrow pointing to the unknown song of ours and it helped people remember our song. Whatever your influences are it will come out in your music. but "Don't be afraid to just be yourself. I have had many moments because I took the risks when others told me not to do it at all. Follow your musical heart and soul and mind. The Beatles were not afraid to experiment with music.................


4.How do you set yourselves apart from other bands or singers? 

Practicing when you are sick of it to be tight is one way. Many bands are sloppy because they feel they do not need sound checks or practice. I have had many of great musicians not put their best foot forward because they have an ego and do not feel they need to do a sound check or practice. They get to the gig and are setting sound all through the first set. They would say I have been playing for {X} number of years I do not need practice. We practice and do sound checks. But the main thing is "DO ORIGINALS" this is another thing many musicians do not want to do. But it's what sets you apart. If all you can do is covers, you may corner yourself. Work on harmonies as well. Tight harmonies are huge and let everyone who wants to sing if they sing well. People love seeing friendship and happiness and teamwork on stage it spreads the love and enjoyment of music. unless you are a solo act of course...........

5. Any new gigs or albums in the future?

I am hoping to record some new songs and do some new song videos. And I want to get back out there and play live again. Covid and the economy issues have halted playing live for me since 2019. So yes, I am hoping to get with GARY WILL who also plays LEAD GUITAR and produces and mixes and masters our JUDENJAY recordings. GARY WILL also does his own solo stuff and plays with other bands as all of these guys do. As much as I would like to be selfish and keep this band to myself many guys are here and there, so it really depends on money and time for each other. The days of a band being just for each other seem to be gone. 

No comments:

Post a Comment