Wednesday, December 28, 2022

DJ Interviews: Adrian Earnshaw

 Here's my interview with singer Adrian Earnshaw


How'd you get started in music?

I probably had an unconventional start to getting involved in music composition, particularly electronic music. As an 11 year old I was sat at the back of my local church listening to the organist. After many weeks of listening, I started to have the ambition to become an organist. Long story short, I've been the organist and music director at that same church for the last 25 years.

Alongside learning the organ I got sucked into the world of Berlin School electronic music, in other words the world of Tangerine Dream, Kraftwek et al. Mix this with a sprinkling of Jean-Michel Jarre and my journey into the enticing world of electronic music began. This eduction enabled me to start creating my own soundscapes that move between pure ambient to more melodic electronic music. These have been released on all good digital streaming platforms.

As my website indicates, I'm perhaps the only composer on the planet that can take you to church and space - literally!

Who are your inspirations or influences?

I gave the game away on this a little earlier. My main influences have been Tangerine Dream, Jean-Michel Jarre, but you can also add Vangelis and Mike Oldfield to this mix. I tend to take ideas from all sorts of areas of music, and my music collection goes from Gregorian Chant to Classical Music, a little stop off in the electronic music world, and then on through to Symphonic Metal and Hard Rock. So you could say that my influences are very eclectic.

I do have to say that as a child, I was really into astronomy and still keep a light interest in this area. Just the sheer thought of the expanse that we sit in and what sights the new probes and telescopes from NASA have shown us has given me endless inspiration with my music.

What advice would you offer aspiring performers?

Never compare yourself to others, always compare yourself to you. If you have improved 1% from yesterday, that's progress that you should cherish and grow up on. In respect of live performance, remember that the people at the venue are there to listen to you, they want you to do well, so relax and enjoy the shared experience

How do you set yourselves apart from other bands or singers?

This is a hard one, but by taking influences from different contrasting areas of the music spectrum I have developed my own sound. This has developed over a very long period of time and didn't happen overnight. My music has sequenced patterns that drift in and out of the music and keeps the listener engaged on the cosmic journey that unfolds.

Any new gigs or albums in the future?

I have a follow up album to Cosmic Voyager Vol.1 coming out early in 2023. Although I don't play my compositions in a live setting, I will be broadcasting a few live streams in this coming year. This is going to be new experience for me especially as some of these will be live impromptu compositions. Although I am quite regular at uploading to YouTube, I haven't really done any truly live sessions. So, exciting times ahead for 2023.

No comments:

Post a Comment