Thursday, May 5, 2022

DJ Interviews: KL Merchant

Hey there everyone, here's my interview with singer KL Merchant who also publishes her own indie mag so feel free to check it out via the link below & enjoy the interview.


How'd you get started in music?

"I started in music from age 17, when I was studying performing arts at college; combined with it were modules in Art, music & film media. I've always been inspired by music though, ever since I was 8 years old when an inspiring teacher who was extremely gifted in piano playing and singing; spent time helping me break out of my shy quiet shell of self. She encouraged me to sing in a choir and I found a voice I never knew I had. I went on to explore many genres. I spent years perfecting my styles and sound, with a variety of artist names; Retro Lady, Something Youthful, 
Kaylady M /K Lady Music, 
Sparkly Spice / Sparkly Spookay /
 Kayle Merchant."'

Who are your inspirations or influences?

"Avril Lavigne!!! I don't think there will be any others as fascinating as her. Since I was 14, I had listened to her tracks on the Let Go album a million times over, know all the lyrics for each song. I went through a phase of dressing tomboy punk:] 

Her songs taught me how to stay strong and how to get through the trauma after getting bullied at school. I was 14 on my way to college way earlier than expected; blasting Avril Lavigne- Mobile & Anything but ordinary, for the journey to my future. "Thank you Avril ;] for the courage to speak my mind in music."

Eminem is another major inspiration for me, his lyrics and story in 'Sing for the moment' resonate with me, and especially his songs; Lose Yourself, Not Afraid, Hailey's song and Cleaning out my closet. His music is so authentic, there is no hiding from his truth and he just wears it like the true soldier he is, scars and all. "

Other influences & inspirations; Lady Sovereign, Nelly Furtado, Natalie Merchant, Lady Gaga, Green Day, Nine Inch Nails, Tech N9ne, Shania Twain, Meredith Brooks, Spice Girls, Catatonia, Katy Rose, DireStraits, Alanis Morrisette..
Books I've read by R.L Stine, 
Movies I've seen; The Lost Boys, 
Twilight, Warm Bodies, Flatliners, Moulin Rogue.

What advice would you offer aspiring performers?

"No matter how hard it feels fighting towards living your dream, all those challenges will pay off in the long run, your younger self will thank you for your non stop dedication and commitment you've put into your work, all you have to do is start and never ever stop, even when the going gets tough, rough with it. 

 Every step counts, don't rush and take the elevator as you'll come crashing down too fast, the stairs will take longer but every step will bring you closer to where you want to go."


How do you set yourselves apart from other bands or singers?

"As a duo one woman band, we made it our mission to perform our music in a theatrical poetic musical style through modern rap and rock, with it; We brought together cosplay and named our characteristics - Sparkly Spookay, a complex dynamic duo bringing a mix of positive sparkling feel good messages that tackle injustices Vs a spooky eerily warrior force through Spookay, where she scared inner demons as well as outside traumatisers senseless. Every music video was structured into a pantomime type feel. This also resulted in Spookay becoming the lead singer of a band called Arson Of Eden; A Heavy metal trap rock trio delivering demonized doll hits. ;) "


Any new gigs or albums in the future?

"No. We've done enough shows. It has come to an end for Sparkly Spookay, as we have decided to take on new things. Cosplay modelling full time. The production and development of Stage Door Press magazine as well as self publishing my art and poetry as KL Merchant."

"Please enjoy Ice Queen, our very last release as Sparkly Spookay, with Gareth Hollis and Wyshmaster. "

Special thanks to her for this interview & also good luck to her for her magazine. So until then I'll catch you on The Flipside! Stay awesome & rock n roll!





No comments:

Post a Comment