Tuesday, November 23, 2021

DJ Interviews: The Welcoming

 Hey guys here's my interview with The band The Welcoming


How'd you get started in music?

A childhood friend had a drum kit and I thought it was the coolest thing ever. Although my dad is a musician, he was understandably not excited about the prospect of me playing drums in the house. But I badgered him until he caved in and bought one. 

Then, I started trying to play along to songs I liked at the time. Over the years I've done the same with guitar and bass. I've never had formal lessons, but I always try and learn something from musicians I respect.



Who are your inspirations or influences?

I have a bunch of influences, but I think the ones that came out most for The Welcoming are Thrice, A Perfect Circle, and Cave In. It's also been compared to Tool and Porcupine Tree.

After going down a progressive metal rabbit hole for about a decade, I wanted to revisit my early 2000s roots.



What advice would you offer aspiring performers?

Play music because you love it, not to get rich.



How do you set yourselves apart from other bands?

I think a lot of current heavy bands are either trying make the most technical and/or brutal music possible, or mindless radio friendly active rock. My mindset was to not worry about any of that, and just focus on writing good songs that are fun to play and listen to.

Also, my lyrics are thoughtful and I'm not afraid to write about controversial issues. There are songs about the capitalist rat race (Orchestrators of War), forcing religion on kids (Righteous), the Trump cult (The Messiah), Black Lives Matter (Obsidian), and getting into bad faith arguments with conspiracy theorists (The Master of Debate). Heavy music is supposed to piss some people off, so if I had something to write about, I just went for it. 

Then again, there are also songs where the lyrics simply tell a fun story (Mountain Heir, Final Operation). And even with my pissed off songs, I try to be respectfully pissed off. πŸ˜‚

I honestly think that if you're a fan of rock or metal, you'll find something you like.



Any new gigs or albums in the future?

No gigs yet! Decayed | Remade was written as a solo album, but I'm in the early stages of putting a band together so I can play songs from it live. And my hope is for the next batch of recordings to feature ideas and input from the people that wind up in the band.

Special thanks to them for this interview & I wish them lot of luck in their music. So until then I;ll catch you on The Flipside! Stay awesome & rock n roll!

No comments:

Post a Comment