Saturday, November 20, 2021

DJ Interviews: Ruhum

 Hey there guys, here's my interview with  singer Ruhum


--- How'd you get started in music?

It all started in high school when I fell in love with a girl. I wrote lyrics, but I couldn't play an instrument (she could).
I asked her if she would like to compose a song with me. (Little did she know the song was for her ๐Ÿ™‚).
I told her which chords and melodies to play on the synthesizer and so I composed my first song.

At that time I was kinda obsessed with Hip Hop. A few years later, in 1993, I started to write my own lyrics and produced my own tracks with a borrowed synthesizer, a cheap headphone as a microphone and a double deck cassette player for the recordings.

A friend who listened to several tracks, got motivated to perform with me and buy the necessary hardware like a computer, synthesizer, etc. to sound more professional.

I wrote the lyrics and produced 90-100% of the songs. We found a female singer for the hooks and started performing in local clubs.

--- Who are your inspirations or influences?

In the 90s when I started producing my rap tracks I was influenced by artists like Dr. Dre, Ice Cube, Snoop Dogg, Wu-Tang Clan, etc.

But for my first album, which I released in 2018, I didn't listen to music for 2 years so as not to let other artists influence me. I was on a journey to find the music in me, beyond genres.

--- What advice would you offer aspiring performers?

Find YOURSELF, be YOURSELF, express YOURSELF. Never do art just for money or the fame.

--- How do you set yourselves apart from other bands or singers?

I don't sing or perform live anymore.
I'm not tied to a genre.
I have different artist names for different genres.

I never learned music theory or to play an instrument because i wanted to discover and express the real music in myself, my heart and soul without being influenced by knowledge, the mind and ego.

Besides producing music, i also mix and master my own songs, create the album covers and video clips.

--- Any new gigs or albums in the future?

No gigs, but hopefully in Dezember 2021 I will release my second album as ChuckRuh Sonic, followed by a single (House Music) in January 2022.

Special thanks to him for this interview & I wish him lots of luck in his music so until then I'll catch you on The Flipside! Stay awesome & rock n roll!

No comments:

Post a Comment