Saturday, August 22, 2020

DJ Interviews: Annika Jayne

Hello there folks Its DJ Dizzy & I sat down with a singer who writes songs in different languages say hello to Annika Jayne!


How'd you get started in music?

For as long as I can remember, there has always been music inside my head. Even as a little girl I was already humming little melodies, just for myself. This was probably because I grew up in a musical family. My mother was always listening to classical music - I must have heard it even before I was born. Growing up, I had always admired the big composers for creating such beautiful music. I knew then that this is what I wanted to do. As a child, I had piano and violin lessons. But as soon as I discovered singer-songwriters and folk music, I wanted to learn guitar and write songs. At 15 my parents gave me my first guitar for Christmas and at 16 I wrote my very first song.

Who are your inspirations or influences?

There are so many! As a child, it was composers, mainly Johann Sebastian Bach and  Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart, and later Antonin Dvorak. As a teenager, I discovered Francis Cabrel among many other French singer-songwriters,  as well as American songwriters such as Suzanne Vega, James Taylor, Jim Croce, and Joni Mitchell.  Living in Germany, I naturally listened to German singer-songwriters as well.

What advice would offer aspiring performers?

Stay true to yourself and authentic and just keep going. Don't look so much for success. Staying passionate about your music is the most important thing - everything else will come automatically. However - it takes a lot of work and it won't come overnight. But if you do one thing each day, even just a small thing, you continue to grow. The most important thing, however, is to never, ever, lose the passion!

How do you set yourselves apart from other bands or singers?

Well, for one thing, I write in three languages, English, French, and German. Looking at my influences, this is hardly surprising. I started writing in English, took up writing in French when I was 19, and only wrote my first song in German at the age of 30. I couldn't imagine it any other way. As for instrumentation, I like it simple. I prefer sparse instrumentation over a full orchestra or band. I also like using real instruments in my recordings such as a cello, violin, woodwind instruments, and sparse use of percussion, like djembe or bongo  - which is why I describe my sound as chamber folk. 

Any new gigs or albums in the future

My next single The Eagle Flies Alone will appear on August 14. This one, as well as the last 4 singles, will also be released as an EP entitled Time To Spread Your Wings in autumn.

Special thanks to her for doing this interview & I wish her much luck & love in her music. So until then I'll catch you on The Flipside! Stay awesome & rock n roll!

No comments:

Post a Comment