Monday, July 8, 2019

DJ Interviews: Jordan Spivack

Hello there everyone DJ Dizzy here, And I had the pleasure of interviewing a singer by the name of Jordan Spivack as he shared his humble beginnings.


How'd you get started in music?

    My Mom Sophie was a singer, and when I was very little she started teaching me many songs. By the time I was 3 years old I was singing for anyone who would listen – at family parties my parents would stand me up on a table, and I would sing my heart out. When I was 3 1/2, my parents bought me my own little record player. At age 5 my 2 sisters were both taking piano lessons, and I would crawl up on the bench and try out the keys, fascinated by the sound. One night my Mom called the family in to dinner, but I was playing the piano. My Dad asked my sisters which song of theirs I was playing, and they said it wasn’t one of theirs. That is when my parents discovered I was already writing my own little piano songs. This was followed by piano, singing and dancing lessons. I joined a children’s song and dance troupe, and every Sunday morning until I was 9 I was featured singing a solo song on the local radio station in Parkersburg, West Virginia as “Little Jordy”.



Who are your inspirations or influences?

    Of course my Mom was the first to magically touch my life with music. My Dad Gershon was a fine poet and playright, and I definitely got my gift of creativity through him.   

    In classical music: Aaron Copland, Leonard Bernstein, Sergei Prokofiev, Claude Debussy, Frederic Chopin. In jazz: Dave Brubeck, Herbie Hancock, Quincy Jones. In the pop field: Laura Nyro, James Taylor, Joni Mitchell, Burt Bacharach.



What advice would you offer aspiring performers?

    Learn and hone your craft. Practice, practice, practice. Be professional. Be kind. Use failure as fuel for your next opportunity. March to the beat of your own heart. Do what you love. Be prepared when the door opens. Find what is unique about yourself and your music. Learn music theory.



How do you set yourselves apart from other bands or singers?

    I compose in all different genres – both lyrics and music, and I am proficient at the piano and keyboard. I can sing, harmonize, arrange for all instruments. I have experience in the studio producing and performing. And most important of all, my music doesn’t sound like anyone else’s.



Any new gigs or albums in the future?

    By the end of 2019 I plan to release 2 new albums: one will be a collection of my original solo piano compositions, both classical and jazz, all live recordings; the second will be a new jazz album of original instrumental tracks, and including for the first time a few songs, including my current single “Lucky Day” featuring the outstanding vocals of wonderful singer Christine McHoes. I have also just released a single of my jazz instrumental “Free”. Currently I’m not playing any gigs, but I don’t rule out that possibility in the future.

Special thanks to him for this interview & I wish him nothing but luck in his music. So until then I'll catch you on the flipside! Stay Awesome & rock n roll!

No comments:

Post a Comment