Saturday, December 1, 2018

DJ Interviews: The Saboteurs

Hello there everyone DJ Dizzy here & I recently sat down with the UK band the Saboteurs who had a lot to say regarding their humble & musical beginnings.


1. How'd you get started in music?

Rick : I grew up listening to Queen and used to air guitar to Bryan May when we were travelling in the car. At about 15, I got an electric guitar for Christmas and when I discovered RHCP - especially John Frusciante - everything changed. I went to music college, changed to bass because everyone played guitar and met up with a drummer who I would be in bands with for the next 12 years but I returned to guitar in the end.

Ben : I was probably about 10 when I started a 'band' called The Universe and wrote my first song - the imaginatively titled, 'We are The Universe'. Like Rick, I got my first guitar at about 15 but he's obviously spent far more time learning how to play! But for me, it was the tool I needed to start writing songs and melodies. I sang in a few bands at school and landed a role in the musical, 'Joseph'. I played Benjamin, obviously.

2.  Who're are your inspirations or influences?

Rick : RHCP, Deftones, Tool, RATM, Zeppelin, Therapy? plus loads more random multi-genre influences. I'm a huge fans of poignant, expressive lyrics and words.

Ben : In my teens, I spent quite a bit of time hanging out in my Mum's art classes, which tended to attract an eclectic mix of goths and punks. Through them I discovered loads of great bands like New Model Army, Siouxsie & the Banshees, Fields of the Nephilim and The Clash which still influence me today. But I also love acoustic stuff like CSN&Y, Neil Young, Indigo Girls and Nick Drake. And I'm massively into Idles at the moment.

3. Any advice for any aspiring performers?

Rick : I would say to any aspiring performers just get out and play, find like-minded people, make friends and ignore the pitfalls of the internet popularity contests that can ruin the love of music for some. Do it because you love it!

4. How do you set yourselves apart from other bands & singers?

Ben : We just can’t do trends, even if we wanted to! We all have diverse music tastes and end up chucking in elements from all sorts of genres and smashing them together to see if it works. Sometimes it doesn’t, sometimes it does. But when it does work, it’s incredibly rewarding. It’s all about the music to us.

5. Any new gigs or albums in the future?

Rick : We're releasing our debut album, 'Dance with the Hunted', in February 2019. We can’t express how proud we are of it and we can’t wait for people to hear it. DWTH was recorded at Phoenix Sound Studios in Mansfield, UK by Hamish Dickinson who also played all the drums. Overall, it's a bit darker and rockier sounding than our debut EP and hopefully, it will turn a few heads too! We're currently arranging tour dates around the UK to promote the album through 2019. And we can’t wait...

Special thanks to them for this interview & I wish them nothing but luck in their careers. So until then I'll catch you on the flipside!

Stay awesome & rock n roll!

No comments:

Post a Comment