Wednesday, December 12, 2018

DJ Interviews: Michael Frazer

Hello everyone its DJ Dizzy here with another interview this time with Michael Frazer who had a lot to say regarding in regards to his career.


How'd you get started in music? -------------------------------------------
I've been on love with songs for as long as I can remember. When I buy a new album I always head straight for the lyrics and read all of the sleeve notes, everything. Always have.
I want to know who wrote each song, who played each instrument, where was it recorded? That's why I still prefer CDs to downloads.
I got my first electric guitar when I was 13. After I learned to play a few cover songs I'd use two cassette recorders, and bounce recordings between them to create a multi-track of me playing and singing.
Later, I bought a reel-to-reel machine, covered up the 'erase' head, and created layered multi-track songs and started to write a little.
I taught myself a little piano along the way, and as technology improved it became possible for solo artists like me to create release-quality recordings with orchestra, drums, keyboards and synths. I play all of the guitars and performed the vocals and backing.
So, although I started playing guitar in my early teens, I am a late developer in attaining the ability, knowledge, and confidence to write and record songs I am proud to play to other people.
I had also played in local rock and pop bands during this time playing bass and/or vocals, performing cover versions of whichever songs we liked, plus we'd sometimes sneak in some of our own songs. I stopped playing live in cover bands in order to focus on recording my own music.
If there's a downside to being a solo artist, it is that I have to learn to play, or programme all of the parts myself, and I have no-one to bounce ideas off. The upside is that I get to create something exactly how I want it, without compromise.
The challenge is always to try to get the song that I can hear in my head out into the real world.



Who are your inspirations or influences?
-------------------------------------------
The artists who inspire me are those that follow their own path. Regardless of what they have created previously, or what might be expected of them, they just do what THEY choose to do.
The Beatles are one of earliest bands to do that from what I can see, David Bowie and Kate Bush are also great examples. U2 went away to reinvent themselves and came back with Achtung Baby, a terrific album.
As far as influences go, I guess that I must have learned, or absorbed something from all of the songs, and the artists that I have enjoyed listening to. I can't listen to a song without dissecting it's structure, arrangement and production on some subconscious level to try to understand why it works for me.
I love Elbow, great songs, and I love Guy's voice. Also Neil Finn and Crowded House.
I do tend topick up on individual songs rather than artists so it's hard for me list artists as such. I could list songs, from Johnny Cash covering 'Hurt', to Sam Smith's 'Writing's on the Wall. That would be a better view of my influences.



What advice would offer aspiring performers?
-------------------------------------------
Do what you enjoy, don't deviate, or you'll end up doing something you don't enjoy.
Don't change what you do to fit a genre, your music will change and grow as you do so don't tie yourself down.
I don't pay any attention to what's current or popular, that never lasts.



How do you set yourselves apart from other bands or singers?
-------------------------------------------
I don't pay any attention to what's current or popular, that never lasts.
I create songs as they emerge. I don't try to make a song sound like the others on the album, each one is a brand new 'thing'.


Any new gigs or albums in the future?
-------------------------------------------
I will rebuild my home studio over the next few months, ready to start recording new material for the next album

I wish him nothing but luck in his musical journey & special thanks to him in doing this interview.

So until then I'll catch you on the flipside! 

stay awesome & rock n roll!

No comments:

Post a Comment