Wednesday, February 14, 2024

DJ Interviews: Penelope's Thrill

 Here;s my interview with the band Penelope's Thrill who shared their musical origins



How'd you get started in music?
I got started in music playing in a neighborhood garage band when I was growing up in New Jersey. We really did play in garages, and also in basements, and eventually at high school dances. Growing up, the guitar was a very important part of my life. (I still have the guitar I bought when I was 14!) When I was in college in Boston, some of my bandmates from New Jersey moved up to Boston as well, and we made a go of it on the thriving Boston music scene (this was in the early 1980s!) Eventually, though, the band broke up and we all went our separate ways. Much later in life, I decided to rededicate myself to music and do what I love, so I founded Penelope's Thrill. Getting out and playing live again has been exhilarating, whether it's a small club, a small town music festival, or a big festival like Summerfest in Milwaukee.

Who are your inspirations or influences?
I suppose growing up, my main inspirations were The Kinks, The Pogues, The Ramones, Talking Heads, and other punk bands of the 70s and 80s. My friends and I used to drive over into New York city from New Jersey to CBGBs and Max's Kansas City, where we saw the Ramones, Talking Heads, Blondie and other bands very early on. More recent inspirations would be bands like the Middle Kids, Lord Huron, Johnny Flynn, and First Aid Kit.

What advice would you offer aspiring performers?
My best advice would be to practice and find other people to play with--people who also find joy in music and who are compatible with you musically. Then practice more. Also, don't get discouraged. Stick with it. Getting better takes time, and the gains are incremental. Also, early on, if you have the opportunity to play live, do it! Even if it's a small gig, an inconsequential gig, do it. Just preparing and then going on live before an audience (even a tiny audience) will make you a better musician and performer.

Any new gigs or albums in the future?

The first Penelope's Thrill album, Twilight on Tunnel Road, won the Alternative Album of the Year here in Wisconsin. Our second album will be released on April 11, 2024. The first two singles from that album have already been released, with four more singles to come before the album release. There is much more information on our website: https://www.penelopesthrill.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment