Tuesday, March 29, 2022

DJ Interviews: Shoun-Shoun

 Here's my interview with a band called, Shoun-Shoun

 
How'd you get started in music?
I come from a really musical family. My dad used to play in a Hot Jazz band and take us to lots of the gigs he played in pretty cool jazz pubs and beer gardens in Berlin. I started taking piano lessions as a child playing my etudes and a bit of ragtime. But the piano and I never became friends. Years later I met some cool new friends in a youth club in Berlin Kreuzberg and we started a punk band with me picking up a guitar and singing. My guitar playing was abysmal but that didn't hold us back. One of the few gigs we played was at a squat.
 
Who are your inspirations or influences?
We all have totally different influences, which is the best! I adore the Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Nadine Shah and Peaches. But if you ask any of the others then they'll talk of Squarepusher, Tortoise, The Brian Jonestown Massacre, Add N to X and Broadcast.
 
What advice would you offer aspiring performers?
I would tell them 'I still don't really know how it all works.' I know so many bands who are better song writers, better at working this whole social media thing, have a bigger stage presence, are great at networking. Our band is doing everything DIY - recording our debut album, video shoots, booking gigs & festivals, getting air play on lots of radio stations. Look at DuBlonde and Bob Vylan! They are doing it all themselves, no labels are involved. I'm not saying that all labels are evil - I'm just saying don't wait around hoping something will happen. Do it yourself.
 
How do you set yourselves apart from other bands or singers?
Damn, how do I know if we are? Hopefully we have good enough tunes, look intriguing or interesting on stage, create a reaction. But when there has been a spark between us and the audience it's the best!
 
Any new gigs or albums in the future
We've got some amazing gigs lined up. There might be another single out later this year, but for now we're promoting our debut album Monsters & Heroes which only came out end of January this year. And it's been doing fine so far, which is nice!
 
30/04    Royal Oak, Bath
01/05    Astral Fest, Bristol (with Part Chimp, Lice, Slift, Gnod and more!)
28/05    Dot To Dot, Bristol
09/07    Somerstock, Somerton
16/07    The Godney Gathering, Godney
03/09    BOSfest, Burnham-on-sea
04/11    Vinyl Tap, Preston
05/11    The Grove, Leeds
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment