Thursday, May 7, 2020

DJ interviews Spiral Crush

Hello there folks its your old friend DJ Dizzy here & I sat down with the band called Spiral Crush who had a lot to say on their success & their career. So lets hear it for Spiral Crush!


How'd you get started in music?



Shaun Smail (guitar/vox) - When I was a young kid there was another kid on the bus whose dad was a Metalhead.  Through this other kid I was somehow expose to Quiet Riot and Twisted Sister. After that it was all over, I was all about heavy metal and wanted to start a band.

Scott Smail (drums) - Having a passion for music at a young age is really where it started for me, but once my brother Shaun got a guitar I knew that I also wanted to learn an instrument. Since Shaun chose guitar, I went with drums.

Jimi McCammon (bass) - My earliest memories involve listening to music with my Dad. The Beatles, Elton John, Led Zeppelin, Kiss, Black Sabbath, etc. When I was in grade school I started singing in Choir which eventually led to auditioning for a band in high school (which I didn't get), so I bought a guitar and started my own band; I was 16.



Who are your inspirations or influences?



Shaun - My inspiration and influences started with 80's hard rock and heavy metal. That led me to Black Sabbath and Led Zeppelin. I'm also a huge Kiss and Van Halen fan. Now, I pretty much listen to everything from 40's music all the way up to today's music. I'm a really big fan of 80's rock and pop rock like Bryan Adams, John Waite, The Cars and Pat Benatar.

Scott - If it's rock and roll it's probably on my list! Kiss, Van Halen, Motley Crue, Stone Temple Pilots, Alice in Chains, and many more, too many to list here!

Jimi - I'm all over the map on this one as well. Early in my career I want to shred guitar! As a result many of my early influences are guitar players. Eddie Van Halen, George Lynch, Jimmy Page, and Randy Rhodes just to name a few. Once I started playing bass though things changed and quickly developed a liking for prog/rock/metal bass players. Steve Harris, Geddy Lee, Micheal Anthony, Billy Sheehan, John Paul Jones, Chris Squire, just to name a few. Today I'm in to bands like Muse, Foo Fighters, Rival Sons, Arkells, The Sam Roberts Band and more. I listen to a pretty diverse rock and roll platform.



What advice would offer aspiring performers?



Shaun - If you want to be the kind of musician who performs live in front of crowds, don't wait until you think you're good enough. No matter how much time you spend practicing in your bedroom, or your rehearsal space with your band, once you get up in front of people, wether it's five of five thousand you're going to be nervous. Performing live takes just as much practice as learning your instrument. If you make a mistake or have a bad show you have to learn how to let that go. Fro me, at the end of the day I would rather be a mediocre musician who performs live, trying to get better, than a great musician who doesn't. Focus on enjoying it and the rest will just fall into place.



Scott - Try to be as creative and unique as possible, and stay true to who you are.



Jimi - Do what you love! Don't change who you are as a band or player to try and make other people happy, make yourself happy and if people dig it, then cool. If they don't, fuck'em. Also, practice, practice, practice!



How do you set yourselves apart from other bands or singers? 



Shaun - I don't worry about setting myself apart from other bands or performers. I worry about writing and performing music that I enjoy and can be proud of Hopefully other people will enjoy it as well. I feel like if you start trying too hard to be different it won't be honest. I think if that happens you ultimately won't be happy.



Scott - I would have to say musically, we just have a different sound.



Jimi - We are just a raw, loud, power rock trio! We have high energy songs that we try and match with high energy performances! If we could play live 365 day's a year we would.



Any new gigs or albums in the future? 



Shaun, Scott, and Jimi - We are currently writing new material for an album that should be out sometime in 2019. We are very excited about the new material and looking forward to finishing it so other people can hear it as well.

So far in 2019 we have nearly a dozen shows on the calendar including opening for Derek St.Holmes (Ted Nugent) and Jim McCarty's Mystery Train in early June. 





Special thanks to them for this interview & I wish them nothing but luck in their success. Until then I'll catch you on the flipside! Stay awesome & rock n roll!

Spiral Crush- Rockstar

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hq3P961qWGM&feature=emb_title

No comments:

Post a Comment