Sunday, March 1, 2020

DJ Interviews: Shadows of Everest

Hey there everyone DJ Dizzy here & I had the pleasure of speaking with a metal band who call themselves Shadows Of Everest



How'd you get started in music?I don't come from a musical family. I played a little piano as a kid but my passion for rock music took off when I was 12 years old. It was a few months before Christmas and I was flipping through the Sears Wishbook and when I landed on the page with musical instruments my thought was "I absolutely MUST get a drum set!". My mom quickly squashed that dream so, at the time, I thought the next best thing was a guitar. I convinced her it would be quieter (somehow). The rest is history. Fast forward through my teens and I was hooked on 70s rock bands and learning songs by ear. I'm sure that's how it happens for a lot of guitarists out there. I think I wrote my first song when I was 16 and I liked the process so much that I just continued doing it.

Who are your inspirations or influences?
Inspiration really comes from everywhere. When I'm writing I usually get a spark from some random mundane event and then the creative dominos start to fall. My main influences however are bands like Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, Tool and Mastodon.

What advice would offer aspiring performers?
Own your performance. Get up and do your thing the way you think it's meant to be done and do it with passion.

How do you set yourselves apart from other bands or singers?
We just play our riffs  man. We take a lot of pride in our originality and our live set. We're not writing to impress anyone and we never sacrifice our own musical needs because we think someone else won't like it.

Any new gigs or albums in the future
We will be at a couple of festivals in our home province this summer so keep your eyes open for those announcements. We're pretty deep into the process of our third album too. With a little luck and support we might even get to drop that in the last quarter of 2020.

No comments:

Post a Comment