Saturday, June 1, 2019

DJ Interviews: Grimsteel

Hey there everybody its DJ Dizzy & I interviewed a metal band who call themselves, Grim Steel as they shared their humble beginnings.


How'd you get started in music?


I remember in middle school I spent a little to much time playing Guitar Hero 3 and after I beat the game I thought to myself "Wow, this music stuff sounds like fun." so I dug out an old guitar out of storage and started to learn how to play it. I had a few friends in the neighborhood that I convinced to join me and we had a "Band" that really didn't really go anywhere but it was still really fun and as I look back on it now I think those memories are my most fondest of my middle school into high school years. We all inevitably went our separate ways as most high school friends do and when I started college I found I didn't have enough time to really meet up with a band so I got a bass and learned how to program drums and just became the whole band.  


Who are your inspirations or influences?


Id say Metallica, Iron Maiden and Avenged Sevenfold all have a large influence on my song writing and how I build my songs. But I also really love Video Game soundtracks like the Halo 2 OST composed by Martin O'Donnell and Michael Salvatori, and the all mighty Doom (2016) OST composed by Mick Gordon. I try to focus more on structuring my songs with movements instead of normal "Verse,Chorus,Verse, Chorus, Break, Chorus" structure most songs use. Some of my songs do follow that normal structure but for the most part I try to use movements to tell the stories I like to tell and I feel that the scores of video games and movies have a hand in that. 


What advice would offer aspiring performers?


A really good friend of mine once said "I'm trying to become your favorite artist, but I'm also trying to become my favorite artist" and Its really stuck with me. So my advice would be to make sure you love the music your making and really enjoy doing music, no matter what genre or style. 


How do you set yourselves apart from other bands or singers?


I think the fact I'm mostly instrumental sets me apart. Not to say that just instrumental metal tracks haven't been done before, it certainly has and has been done well. but its not something you see every day. I'm not a very good singer, so I figured I should play to my strengths and just do my best to have the stories and emotions come out of the notes instead of my vocal chords. 



Any new gigs or albums in the future?


Id love to start gigging but, as a solo artist, it would take some legit techno-wizardry to pull off a live set. Its totally doable but It would take some figuring out. On the album front, the next Grimsteel album is a ways off. "From Ruins Once Possessed" just dropped March 15th so another Grimsteel album isn't even on the radar yet. But I do have a few project in the works with a few great music buds of mine who I have worked with before. So look forward to that! 

I wish them nothing but luck in the career & special thanks to them for doing this interview. So until then stay awesome & I'll catch you on the flipside! ock n roll!

No comments:

Post a Comment