Saturday, May 4, 2019

DJ Interviews: Elizabeth Everts

Hey there everyone, Its The DJ coming at you with an interview featuring a talented singer, songwriter  whose name is Elizabeth Everts Who spoke on her humble beginnings



How'd you get started in music?


My Dad liked to play The Beatles or folk songs on the guitar and I would sing along with him while he played.  When I was 8, I ended up sitting at a piano during a wedding reception with a woman who was a piano teacher (I only met her that once) and she showed me things that I apparently picked up on well.  She recommended to my parents that I take piano lessons, which I did for the next 14 years.  


Who are your inspirations or influences?


Major influences for me have been The Beatles, The Doors, The Red Hot Chili Peppers and Tori Amos.  On the classical side the biggest four would be Beethoven, Schumann, Janacek and Berio.  In jazz music my top four influences are Charles Mingus, John Coltrane, Miles Davis and Cal Tjader.

What advice would you give to aspiring performers?

Just because you are nervous doesn't mean that you are not cut out to perform.  Being nervous is not only normal but also an indication that the quality of your playing/singing matters to you.  Also, not everyone is going to like what you do and try not to let that shake you.  Be yourself.

How do you set yourself apart from other bands/singers?

I think that the influences of rock, jazz, classical and experimental music that I have heard and played in my life are mixing in a similar way in each song I write, which is slowly culminating into a unique "Elizabeth" style.


Any new gigs or albums in the future?


On May 25, 2019 a new five-track EP will be released.  It is called "Contraband" and contains songs utilising drums or electronic drum beats, Fender Rhodes and/or piano and vibraphone.  There is one solo song included - containing just piano and voice.  It will be available on all digital platforms or as physical media for purchase on my website.

Special thanks to her for this interview & I wish her luck in her career. So until then I'll catch you on the flipside! Stay awesome & rock n roll!

No comments:

Post a Comment